Your Immigration
Legal Advocates

Bringing Families Together Across Boundaries

Are you a U.S. citizen or green card holder with family in another country? Are you concerned about how long it will take to bring your husband, wife, child, parent or sibling into the United States as a lawful permanent resident?

At the immigration law firm of Yeager & Etkind, we help clients from all over the world pursue family-based green cards. Contact us at 202-828-0750 or 301-340-2111 to discuss your goals with an experienced immigration lawyer. With offices in Rockville, Maryland, and Washington, D.C., we serve individuals and families throughout the region.

Securing Permanent Residency for Family Members

U.S. government policy encourages the use of the immigration process for family reunification within certain boundaries. Relatives of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) can obtain family-based green cards within varying time frames depending on the exact type of relationship involved.

Spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents (also known as immediate relatives) of U.S. citizens have the strongest preference and can generally obtain green cards within one year of their applications if everything goes smoothly.

Other applicants can also obtain green cards based on their family relationships, but the time frame may be longer, especially if they are from China, India, Mexico or the Philippines, as those countries have a high volume of emigration. Eligible categories include the following:

  • Adult and/or married children of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens
  • Spouses and children of permanent residents

Stepparents and stepchildren are also eligible for green cards under certain conditions. We are familiar with the procedures for obtaining family-based green cards and can guide you through the process, giving you realistic information about your options and practical advice for most effectively achieving your immigration goals.

Pursuing Temporary Solutions for Quicker Reunification

In some cases, family reunification can be expedited by obtaining a temporary visa while the family-based green card process is underway. The Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act allows U.S. citizens to obtain temporary visas for spouses, children, fiancés and fiancés’ children who have not yet been approved for green cards.

Our attorney is experienced at helping U.S. citizens and permanent residents pursue green card applications for their family members who are currently abroad or in the country on temporary visas. Contact us to learn more about your options.