Your Immigration
Legal Advocates

Bringing People to America for Work

For working people in other countries, obtaining a temporary work visa can be a way to temporarily earn money in the United States, or it can be the first step toward obtaining permanent resident status. For employers in the U.S., hiring temporary workers from outside the country can provide needed flexibility and attract the best talent.

At the immigration law firm of Yeager & Etkind, our attorney assists individual and business clients with applications for temporary work visas. Contact us at 202-828-0750 or 301-340-2111 to learn more about your options. With offices in Rockville, Maryland, and Washington, D.C., we serve clients throughout the region.

Seeking Visas for People in All Types of Occupations

The most common type of temporary work visa is the H-1 visa, including the H-1B visa and several other subcategories. In typical years, when there is not a recession, H-1 visas are capped at 55,000 per year.

There is a great deal of competition for H-1 visas, and there are many steps applicants need to take in order to get into a position to quality for one of these visas.

H-1 visas are generally limited to “specialty occupations,” and there are criteria that employers must meet in order to demonstrate that a particular job qualifies as a specialty occupation. Employers may also be required to pay a prevailing wage.

There are several other types of temporary work visas, many of which are tied to particular occupations or types of occupations. There are also certain occupations that are exempt from the H-1 visa cap. We can go over the different criteria with you to determine whether you qualify.

Assisting Transferees, Traders and Investors

If you are already employed in another country and your employer would like to transfer you to the United States, the L-1 visa may be the best option for you. This special temporary work visa is limited to intracompany transferees. There are also additional visas for international traders and investors.

Whatever type of temporary work you are seeking in the United States, or whatever types of positions you are seeking to fill with temporary or guest workers, don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss what our experienced immigration lawyer can do to move the process forward.