Your Immigration
Legal Advocates

Family-based green card can help to bring spouse, child to US

On Behalf of | Dec 31, 2015 | Family Immigration |

The United States is often viewed as the land of opportunity. However, green card holders or U.S. citizens in Maryland and other states may find that even though they have made it onto U.S. soil, their loved ones are having trouble doing so. An attorney can help to bring a spouse, parent, sibling or child into the U.S. as a legal permanent resident through a family-based green card.

The nation’s government policy encourages people to use the immigration process to reunite families within particular boundaries. The relatives of people who have green cards and relatives of U.S. citizens may obtain family-based green cards within various time frames according to the kind of relationship involved. Spouses along with parents and unmarried kids under 21 are given the greatest preference and can usually get their green cards within a year of applying if things go smoothly.

Other people, such as stepchildren and stepparents, who apply for their green cards can also get these cards based on family relationships under particular conditions. The green card process in general may take longer for people from the Philippines, Mexico, India or China. This is because these nations have high volumes of emigration.

Even though the process of getting a green card might be lengthy, family reunification may be expedited in certain cases through getting a temporary visa while the process is going on. Our attorneys can provide people in Maryland with realistic information concerning their options. We can then provide practical advice that will enable green card holders or U.S. citizens and their loved ones abroad, whether a spouse or a child, to effectively achieve their immigration goals.