Your Immigration
Legal Advocates

How to bring your fiancée to the United States

On Behalf of | Feb 14, 2023 | Family Immigration |

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident in Maryland and you have fallen in love with someone from another country, you may be considering bringing your fiancée to the United States. The process of sponsoring a foreign national for a fiancée visa, commonly known as a K-1 visa, can be complex and time-consuming, but with the right preparation and understanding of the requirements, it can be a smooth and successful experience.

Determine eligibility

To be eligible for a K-1 visa, you must be a U.S. citizen, and your fiancée must be a foreign national. You must also have met each other in person within the past two years, and you must have a bona fide intention to marry within 90 days of your fiancée entering the United States.

File the I-129F petition

The first step in the process is to file the I-129F petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition serves as a request for a fiancé visa and must be accompanied by the necessary fees and evidence of your relationship, such as photographs, emails and other forms of communication.

Wait for USCIS approval

After USCIS receives your I-129F petition, they will review it and determine if it meets the requirements for a K-1 visa. This process can take several months, so it is important to be patient and keep track of the status of your fiancé’s petition for immigration.

Attend a medical examination

Your fiancé will be required to undergo a medical examination by a designated doctor in their home country. The results of the examination must be submitted to the U.S. consulate or embassy in their country.

Attend a visa interview

Once USCIS has approved your I-129F petition, your fiancée will be required to attend a visa interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country. During the interview, a consular officer will verify the information in your petition and determine if your fiancée is eligible for a K-1 visa.

Enter the United States

If your fiancée is granted a K-1 visa, they will be allowed to enter the United States for 90 days. During this time, you must get married, after which your spouse can apply for permanent residency through the Adjustment of Status process.

Bringing your fiancé to the United States can be a long process, but if you stay on top of all deadlines, it should be fairly straightforward.