Employers in Maryland who wish to hire a worker from abroad must first complete the PERM process. The Program Electronic Review Management system allows employers to file an application for an immigrant to receive an employment based green card. Once filed, the application goes directly to the U.S. Department of Labor.
What are the benefits of PERM?
The PERM process has been a major breakthrough in the realm of employment immigration. Since everything is done electronically, the DOL won’t need to collect as much paperwork. Once filed, the document can be quickly reviewed which will enable you to receive a decision about your worker’s status in a much shorter period.
How do employers complete the registration process?
Employers who wish to complete the PERM process will need to review the following steps:
- You must register at the official Department of Labor website.
- You will need to complete the form online.
- You must retain all related documentation for 5 years in case of an audit.
- After registering, you need to retain the user ID, password, and PIN. The DOL will send this information via email.
- Once registered, you may create a sub-account for your attorney.
How soon can you expect a decision?
In most cases, you may expect to receive a decision within a period of 45 to 60 days. Keep in mind that the certifying officer can either approve or deny your request. They also have the authority to order an audit.
The certifying officer does not have to state a reason for ordering an audit. In some cases, your application may be among those that are randomly selected for this purpose. This is the reason you are advised to keep all relevant documents for a period of at least 5 years.