Your Immigration
Legal Advocates

Getting a temporary work visa in Maryland

On Behalf of | Aug 19, 2022 | Employment Immigration, U.S. Immigration Law |

Any foreign national who wishes to work in Maryland must obtain a visa. This could either be an immigrant visa for permanent residence or a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay. If you are planning to only be here for a while, the latter will suffice.

Temporary work visa explained

If there is a seasonal job you are coming to do in Maryland, it’s often advisable to get a temporary visa because it’s easier to obtain than an immigrant visa. It only takes about two to three months for the immigration department to process, whereas an immigrant visa can take up to a year. You will, however, need your employer to sponsor you, and they will need to prove that there are no Americans who can do the job.

They include:

• H- temporary workers

• L- intracompany transferees

• O- aliens of extraordinary ability

• P- athletes, artists, and entertainers

• Q- international cultural exchange visitors

• R- religious workers

Application process

The first step is for your employer to file a Labor Condition Application with the Department of Labor. They will then have to post notice of the application at two places within the company for ten consecutive business days. After that, they will send you an I-129 form which you must complete and submit along with other required documentation. These include:

• A passport valid for travel to the United States

• A nonimmigrant visa petition – DS-160 confirmation page

• An application fee

• A photograph

You will also have to attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country, where you will be asked about your job and your plans for your temporary stay in the United States. If everything goes well, you should receive your visa within two to three months.

It’s important to note that a temporary work visa is just that: temporary. It allows you to stay in the United States for a specific period of time (usually up to three years) and work for a specific employer. Once your visa expires, you will have to leave the country unless you have applied for and been granted another type of visa.